Feel. Think. Express.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

An encounter of the eighth kind

After a couple of hours of staring into a screen, I stepped out into the darkness that had fallen onto the road outside the lab. The road was wide, lit by sodium vapour lamps. They weren't enough to probe into pockets of darkness that hung beneath the trees. Well manicured grass stretched evenly from the illuminating haze into the darkness beneath the trees. The sky was clear. A thin crescent moon hung low in the sky; a face with a faint smile.

Under the tree, I saw a shape in the grass. It munched on the grass, in the cover of darkness. Shy animals by nature, the clever rabbit had found a safe dark clearing in a spot where two roads crossed and four lamps threateningly watched. People walked right by without noticing him. I biked right along him, too see what he looked like. He was shaped like a grey furry easter egg. His back was facing me but both his large ears followed me as I biked in an arc around him; like a radar antenna following a plane. I slowed down as I passed him; he gave me a sideward glance; not alarmed, but seemingly annoyed, "can't you see i am eating?" I apologized without saying a word and went on my way.

Further down the road, the lights had dissapeared. A large family was walking down the sidewalk with two of their dogs; enjoying the cool night. While one dog walked with the group the elder fellow took it upon himself to scout on ahead. I suppose it was route he knew well. I was biking a few feet behind him on the road while he trotted on ahead. A pedestrian crossing came along. He turned towards the road and looked the other way and then, saw me. He didn't expect to see me and was fully prepared to cross. As soon as he did see me, he stopped and looked at me, and smiled, "after you". I biked on ahead and turned back to see him cross, along a straight line, right in the middle of the pedestrian crossing.

In a couple of minutes, I was at a red light. Trucks and cars whizzed past me as I stood and wondered.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

This post digs into memories lying dormant in a far-flung corner of my mind....it is reminiscent of the poem 'Leisure' by a gentleman called William Henry Davies.
It was just another lazy afternoon on the deccan highlands in 1994. At 12 years of age, i failed to appreciate the beauty of the poem.
Now as the world around us moves with frantic pace...i can at last fathom what the venerable Davies had in mind...
enjoy this life while it lasts, not very long from now...the only rabbit you will be seeing will be on your dinner table (-:
cheers maama....

vikram said...

Isn't it already so? I feel so disconnected from nature; trapped in a concrete jungle, even a clear starry night seems like a blessing.

Somehow the rabbit didn't seem to mind; it enjoyed the grass for two hours and scurried back to its burrow by the golf course. It seems to have accepted change quite well.

mine is a different story altogether :-)

Unknown said...

Isnt it ironic that a playground for southern gentlemen of mostly wealthy upbringing would serve as a refuge for a tiny coney...
The rabbit managed to find a cosy corner and its own starry night in a concrete jungle...may be we will too!!

Indy said...

U "sight adichified" a rabbit?!

Anonymous said...

Indy..ur one sick GOB; no wonder your demented cranium interprets even the most innocent of gestures and thoughts as being intertwined with bestiality...the next time u dream i guess its probably gonna be me, a rabbit and hairy vicks...you can join us if u like !!!!!!

vikram said...

I did not "sight adchify" the rabbit!

That term is used when one glances upon his/her sexual complement. It has an element of desire and a longing to posses.

I suppose it is like looking at a pretty flower. Some can admire it and stop at that while some need to pluck it, put it in a vase or adorn their hair with it.

That make sense? :-)

Indy said...

@Mani, you entirely missed the point..its just a joke following yday's hourlong discussion involving, ashok,me,arun and vikram about "sight adichifying"..

@Vikram, you seem to have totally mis-understood the concept of sight-adichifying and apparently u cant take jokes either!

You guys continue your "pure innocent above-earth" discussion, and excuse my lesser-mortal intervention!

vikram said...

would you care to enlighten us, as to what is "sight adichifying"?

Anonymous said...

too much english pessarey...just coz ur one hep dame, doenst mean we are all lame....daii maaama, dont be too polite daaa..whack ppl when they act nasty!!!!

vikram said...

you are right! papa roombha english paesidu!